This is a 2 day short tour from Quito to Cotopaxi National Park and the Quilotoa Lagoon with an overnight stay at Cotopaxi. The Cotopaxi Volcano is one of the highest active volcanoes in the world and a truly majestic sight. This tour will give you the chance to explore the incredible Cotopaxi National Park before staying overnight at a scenic lodge in the foothills of the volcano. The second day, you will travel a couple more hours to visit the Quilotoa Lagoon, an unbelievable turquoise-colored lake located in the caldera of an active volcano. Lake Quilotoa is a place that must be seen to be believed! This short tour to Cotopaxi and Quilotoa makes for a great 2-day escape from Quito.
- Visit Cotopaxi National Park, where you’ll be able to see amazing panoramic views of the famous Cotopaxi Volcano. (Cotopaxi)
- If you’re lucky, you’ll have the chance to spot some of the park’s majestic native wildlife. Species that call the park home include wolves, rabbits, bears and condors. (Cotopaxi)
- Embark on a guided exploration of the Limpiopungo Lagoon, a stunning glacial lake in the shadow of the Cotopaxi Volcano. (Cotopaxi)
- Visit the José Rivas Refuge, the most popular base camp for mountaineers planning to climb the volcano. (Cotopaxi)
- Enjoy free use of the luxurious spa area at the Chuquiragua Lodge, including both a jacuzzi and sauna. Massages are also available at a small extra cost. If you wish to avail yourself of these facilities you must advise the receptionist upon your arrival to enable them to prepare the water. (Cotopaxi)
- Toachi Canyon is a small, gorgeous canyon that is missed by many travelers. We’ll get off the beaten track and make a brief stop here to take some photos and appreciate an exquisite view of the Ecuadorian countryside. (Toachi Canyon)
- Once we’ve arrived at the Quilotoa Lagoon, we will visit the Shalala Mirador lookout point for some of the most breathtaking views you’ve ever seen. (Quilotoa)
- Take a guided hike down to the shore of the beautiful crystal-blue Quilotoa Lagoon. (Quilotoa)
- Your guide will bring you to some nearby artisan workshops and museums where you will be able to learn about the local culture and treat yourself to a handmade souvenir. (Quilotoa)
- On the return trip, we will visit the Quilotoa Mirador for another beautiful view of the lake. (Quilotoa)
- Breakfast, lunch, and overnight accommodation included in price of tour.
- Evening meal not included.
- Make sure to bring appropriate clothing for high altitude climate.
- Wear sunscreen. The sun can be quite dangerous this close to the equator.
- See the itinerary below for an hour by hour plan.